The following is the text of our press release:
Devizes for EU braved the bad weather on Saturday morning to continue their campaign for a People’s Vote as part of a national Day of Action. The group, which had not been able to meet Devizes constituency MP, Claire Perry, was finally rewarded with an encounter with Claire Perry on Saturday in Devizes during which she accepted four giant postcards signed by her constituents, asking her to hand the final decision on the Brexit deal back to the public. [1 and 2]
Organiser Kate Freeman of Devizes for EU said: “These postcards were on display in Devizes and Marlborough during the morning. People signing them said how concerned they were about the parliamentary logjam and the countdown to exiting the European Union. They want to have their say on the terms of Brexit.”
Hugh Norris, who handed a postcard to Claire Perry, is a member of the Remainer Now group which has given a voice to increasing numbers of people who voted Leave in the 2016 Referendum but have now changed their mind and support a People’s Vote with the option to Remain. They realised that claims from the 2016 Leave campaign were based on a false prospectus which cannot be delivered. A People’s Vote recognises that democracies allow voters to change their minds. 
Kate Freeman explained: “Devizes for EU respects the result of the 2016 referendum but that was about the principle of leaving the EU. A People’s Vote would be about the terms. It must allow the people to decide. And it should offer a genuine choice. Do they want the Prime Minister’s deal, crash out of the EU without a deal, or remain in the EU?” A recent YouGov poll shows that only 27% of the general population thinks that their MP should approve the PM’s agreement on the terms of the UK’s withdrawal from the EU.
Claire Perry is one of a group of thirty ministers that has been touring the country to promote the Brexit terms secured by the Prime Minister. She says: “I recognise the strength of feeling in the constituency, on all sides (and in the middle) of this crucial topic.” The postcards presented on Saturday show the depth of concern in the Devizes constituency. The Rt Hon Ms Perry undertook to take the postcards with her to Westminster.
- Devizes for EU is a diverse non-political group of people from around the Devizes constituency working to safeguard the benefits of being part of the EU. The group meets regularly to keep up to date with key issues in the Brexit debate. Recent meetings have been addressed by House of Lords member Andrew Adonis, regional MEPs Molly Scott Cato and Julie Girling, and Marlborough businessman Rex Sandbach. Further details are at https://devizesforeu.uk/
- Over 100 rallies took place around the country on Saturday 8 November 2018.
- Further information and stories: remainernow.com @RemainerNow
- Brexitometer results in Devizes:
- What’s best for UK?
- Theresa May’s Deal 9% | Leaving with No Deal 9% | Staying in EU 81%
- Who should decide our future?
- Theresa May’s Cabinet 11% | MPs in Westminster 6% | A People’s Vote 82%
- What’s best for UK?