A coalition of five pro EU groups* in Wiltshire are asking Wiltshire Council to oppose a no-deal Brexit, and to recognise that every Wiltshire community would be better off in the EU.
If you live, work or study in Wiltshire please can you sign and share this petition? To sign this petition you must be over 13 years.
Dear Wiltshire Council,
We, the undersigned, support a People’s Vote and call on Wiltshire Council to oppose a no-deal Brexit because it will damage every community in the county.
Further we call on Wiltshire Council to recognise that Wiltshire people will be better served if the UK remains a member of the European Union.
The reasons for our requests are set out below.
We need to reach 1% of the Wiltshire population by the beginning of October. Please share our petition. Thank you!
Why are these requests important?
1. Leaving the EU with No Deal would be undemocratic because there is no mandate for No Deal.
2. The public has never given its express consent to this prospect. On the contrary, an increasing number of people in Wiltshire have expressly petitioned government to stay. (Footnote 1)
3. The threats to businesses, family life, livelihoods, transport, goods and public services are serious. For those reasons it is vital that these are well communicated to Wiltshire people and businesses. Several local authorities in the South West have taken action to protect their communities such as Stroud District Council. Cornwall Council supports a people’s vote.
4. Forcing a no-deal Brexit on Parliament and the people would:
- hurt the poorest first and worst;
- harm farmers and Wiltshire’s vital agricultural industry; (Footnotes 2 and 3)
- affect thousands of EU27 citizens in Wiltshire, and their employers who depend upon them;
- make significant financial demands on Wiltshire Council; (Footnote 3
5. Crashing out on WTO terms, the worst trading terms in the world, would threaten jobs, security and our NHS.
6. As a result of a no-deal Brexit Britain would lose international influence and be a target for bullies like Trump.
7. Far from resolving Brexit, such departure would make the Brexit crisis worse and guarantee that the arguments, pain and chaos would continue for a great many years.
8. All current evidence indicates that there is considerable support for staying in the EU. (Footnote 1)
- In the five parliamentary constituencies in Wiltshire, 45,431 people signed the Revoke petition. That is 11.5% of the 390,000 people of voting age in Wiltshire. (Population estimate of 496,000, 21% of whom are under 18 (ONS 2017)
- Farmers and food producers face “considerable turbulence” if the UK leaves the EU with no deal, Environment Secretary Michael Gove, BBC 3 January 2019
- The report by NIESR (the National Institute for Economic and Social Research) reveals that the local economies of Wiltshire, Gloucestershire, Bristol, Bath, Dorset and Somerset are among the top ten areas predicted to fare worst in England, with South West GDP forecast to shrink by 3.3% i.e. £3.1bn, an equivalent loss of £1,242 per head.
* This petition is a partnership initiative with Bradford on Avon and Trowbridge for Europe, Devizes for EU, N.Wilts and Chippenham for EU, Salisbury for Europe, and Wessex for Europe.